- Compounding Pharmacy Equipment
Safe Use of Pharmacy Isolators
GOOD LABORATORY PRACTICE
FOR WORK WITH HAZARDOUS DRUGS
- Utilize appropriate hand washing and gowning techniques to minimize bacterial contamination.
- Wipers and mops made of polyester knit fabrics are recommended for cleaning and disinfection as they do not lint or shed.
- Wipe in one direction and systematically, from cleanest to least clean regions.
- Do not carry out any cleaning, sanitizing, disinfection or sterilization processes while compounding activities are in progress.
- Only use a negative pressure isolator.
- Use a disposable gown made of nonlinting and nonabsorbent material.
- Use two pairs of powder-free, disposable chemotherapy gloves, with the outer one covering the gown cuff.
- Wash hands before donning personal protective clothing and after removing it.
- Clean up spills of hazardous drugs immediately.
- Observe all OSHA, NIOSH, COSHH and/or local safety regulations.